30.05.-04.06.2023 | 3-7 pm
on building with hemp bricks
Dr. Norbert Hoepfer
The workshop shows a new way to produce and use building materials (hemp lime).
This requires a chain:
1. agriculture and harvesting technology
2. hemp processing / separation of raw materials into shives and fibres
3. hemp stone manufacture / production of hemp-lime insulating stones
4. processing of the stones
Point 1 to 3 are produced and worked out in the hemp lime manufactory Zempow, this is a German exception, normally the hemp straw is brought from the field to the processing plant, this can be several hundred to 1000km, we drive here only a few 100m to 2 km.
This workshop offers the technology and guidance to get this new building material.
Tiny house made of hemp | the house from the field
Rethinking the production of building materials
Hemp hurd bound with lime shows the new way!
(hemp lime is a mixture of the binder lime 1 part & 3-4 parts supplement of hemp hurd, the broken pistil of the plant)
Tiny house can be dismantled for reuse, size about 2,2 x 4m with an indoor wooden framework. Facade out of hemplime bricks as drywall, shed roof with hemp wool insulation.
Hemp lime has the following properties
- regional & mobile manufacturing
- can be implemented directly with little effort
- carbon negativ (pro cbm minus 110-130 kg CO2)
- Hemp from natural fields (free of glyphosate)
- built-in moisture protection via the buffering effect of the binding agent
- suitable for grandchildren
- sand free
- transparent supply chain of raw materials
We use hemp hurd because:
- hemp is grown in Brandenburg & Mecklenburg
- in our case, the hemp comes from regional organic farming in Zempow
- these occur en masse in the hemp plant
- hemp has an open-pored cell structure
- hemp has a positive effect on agriculture field economy
We take lime because:
- a lot of moisture is buffered (rapid absorption and release of moisture)
- because of the disinfecting effect
- easy to repair (our bones are made of lime and therefore grow back together)
- lime is thinking ahead evolutionary